60 Metre Speed Test. The objective of this test is to monitor the development of the athlete's acceleration and pick up to full flight.Required resources
To undertake this test you will require:
- 400m - 60m marked section on the straight
- Stop watch
- The test comprises of 3 x 60m runs from a standing start and with a full recovery between each run.
- The athlete uses the first 30m to build up to maximum speed and then maintains the speed through to 60m.
- The coach should record the time for the athlete to complete 30m and 60m.
Predictions for 100 and 200 metres
The athlete's 100m time can be predicted from their 60m time using the following algorithm:
- 7.3829894 + ("60m Time" x -0.431975) + ("60m Time" x "60 Time" x 0.1394189)
- 13.795573+ ("60m Time" x -0.720532) + ( "60m Time" x "60m Time" x 0.2806044)
This test is suitable for sprinters but not for individuals where the test would be contraindicated.
Reliability would depend upon how strict the test is conducted and the individual's level of motivation to perform the test.
There are no published tables to relate results to potential performance in competition.
Mackenzie, Brian. 2005. 101 Performance Evalution Test. Electric World Plc. London.