Ankle Flexibility Test For Men and Women. The objective of this test is to monitor the development of the athlete's ankle flexibility.
To undertake this test you will require:
- 1 metre ruler
How to conduct the ankle flexibility test?Starting position
- Stand facing a wall
- Feet flat on the ground toes touching the wall
- Lean into the wall.
- Slowly slide the feet back from the wall as far as possible
- Keep the feet flat on the ground, body and knees fully extended and the chest in contact with the wall
- Measure the distance between the toe line and the wall - to the nearest 1/4 of an inch
- Repeat the test 3 times and record the best distance.
Analysis of the result is by comparing it with the results of previous tests. It is expected that, with appropriate training between each test, the analysis would indicate an improvement.
Table adapted from Johnson B.L & Nelson J.K. Practical Measurements for Evaluation in PE 4th Ed 1986
Normative data for the ankle flexibility testMeasurements are in inches.
Target groupThis test is suitable for active individuals but not for those where the test would be contraindicated.
ReliabilityReliability would depend upon how strict the test is conducted and the individual's level of motivation to perform the test.
ValidityThere are published tables to relate results to potential level of flexibility and the correlation is high.
Mackenzie, Brian. 2005. 101 Performance Evalution Test. Electric World Plc. London.